I’m pretty used to being consistently let down as a football fan. While I won’t state my team by name, I will say it’s very much a rally/let down kind of relationship, and that burgundy and gold gets a little harder to wear each week.
Nonetheless, I SO look forward to Football Sunday whenever the new season begins, and like every other red-white-and-blue blooded American, I prefer to cheer and cry whilst surrounded by delicious bar food.
Eating healthy ≠ deprivation.
You can still enjoy your favorite flavors and foods, all by making them comply with your goals and diet. If only you could force your team into such submission, right?
We probably made this dish half a dozen times this past year, and it has not once left me, or my carnivorous husband, wanting for normal buffalo wings. The spiced taste of Frank’s Buffalo sauce (yes, it IS vegan) combining with a creamy cashew base and parsley garlic drizzle? Yep, a winning combination for me. And, remind me to leave commercial-like sayings like that out of future posts; let’s be honest, though, I will probably always spew out cliché phrases at any available time.
To make it gluten-free, use your go-to GF pizza dough recipe. I’m a big fan of Bob’s Red Mill, you can find it here. Pro tip: wet your hands when spreading the dough out, it keeps it from balling up in globs of stick on your hands (ask me about learning that the hard way).
Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Flatbread
Pizza and Toppings
- 2 cans of organic chickpeas, slightly mashed
- 1/2-1/4 cup of Franks Red Hot Buffalo (completely dependent on your taste preference. I use 1/4 cup when making for the little ones)
- your favorite pizza dough (here’s one!)
- optional: spinach, roasted peppers, kale, roasted zucchini, daiya cheese
Creamy Cashew Base
- 1 cup of cashews
- 1 & 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp flour to thicken, or arrowroot starch for GF
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- ground black pepper
Parsley Garlic Drizzle
- 1/3 of the creamy cashew base
- 2 tsp organic ACV (apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- handful of fresh parsley, or 1/2 tbsp dried
- Follow the directions for your selected pizza dough.
- While your dough is rising, combine the chickpeas and Frank’s in a bowl to sit.
- Make your cashew base: combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Save 1/3 of the base for your drizzle.
- Spread your dough onto a greased rectangular pan and bake if directed.
- Layer your crust with the cashew base, buffalo chickpeas, and any other desired toppings.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or as long as your dough recipe instructs.
- While your flatbread is baking, combine the rest of the ingredients for your parsley garlic drizzle in a blender. You may chop your parsley if using fresh, and just add that on top as well.
- When your flatbread is done, drizzle with the parsley garlic sauce and slice to serve.
This is sure to be a hit whenever and for whatever occasion you choose to serve it. Let me know how it turns out for you. I’m definitely debating trying this with BBQ sauce as well, but can you really beat a delish buffalo sauce dish with just the perfect balance of heat to creaminess? I’ll let you be the judge.