If you know me at all by now, you’re definitely figured out that chocolate is high up on my priorities list– coming directly before achieving Blake Lively’s post-two babies skin glow, and figuring out how to wink (true story, I actually can’t do it).
Chocolate in any and every form is delicious, but cacao in any and every form is delicious and boasts some stunner health benefits. It’s recently found it’s way in to my normal morning smoothie (post coming soon!) and let me tell you, total game changer.
These waffles are traditionally only made on birthdays, but after the youngest member of our crew turned TWO (tears) I had so many requests for this 4-year-old recipe that I couldn’t keep it all to myself anymore. Completely gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free, I can eat a whole stack without feeling like I’m completely ruining my body!
Decadent, rich chocolate coming to you in the form of fluffy on the inside, slightly crispy on the outside, waffles smothered in so much MCFA-rich coconut oil, topped with sweet natural syrup and bright, fresh strawberries. Give this to me every day.
Guilt-Free Chocolate Waffles
- 1 cup of Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour
- 1 cup of finely ground oat flour (make sure it’s certified gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup of cacao powder
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp finely ground pink salt
- 2 organic pastured eggs
- 2 cups of vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Plug in and turn on your waffle maker. I set mine to high so they cook faster and crisp up.
- Sift your flours in a large bowl, then mix in the rest of the dry ingredients, and set aside.
- Warm up your milk on the stove, and add in the coconut oil. Stir until it melts. You don’t want the milk/oil mixture to get too hot- it could cook the eggs.
- Optional: Blend all of your wet ingredients in a blender for optimal fluffiness. You can whisk them, if you prefer, but I definitely recommend blending.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry, and stir to combine.
- Make your waffles per your waffle maker’s instructions. Bonus points if you’re better than me and have a model that makes more than one at a time (so tedious).
- Top with desired toppings: Enjoy Life chocolate chips, fresh organic strawberries, coconut oil, pure maple syrup, natural peanut butter/almond butter, chopped nuts, and any combination of the aforementioned would be amazing!
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Notes: You can use all GF flour, I just prefer using half Bob’s and half oat because it’s cheaper and makes the waffles lighter. Also, putting powdered sugar on as a topping will totally make this not refined sugar-free, but it sure looks pretty!
Makes 5 waffles.
I have to now somehow explain to my tiny humans that it is no ones birthday, and “there definitely will not be cake later”, and “no, we can’t go pet puppies again”, and “I’m sorry there are no balloons flooding the floor of your bedroom”. All worth it for y’all to be able to experience this hot stack of delicious fluffiness. You’re welcome!