Let’s start this out with a huge (and somewhat embarrassing) confession: I haven’t had a sip of cows milk in almost four years and it was only this past month that I started making my own almond milk. Relevant– I once chastised husband when he suggested I get boxed brownie mix for his work potluck. The queen of making everything from scratch was voluntarily dethroned when I realized how easy and quick it was.
Here’s the Sparknotes version: Soak almonds, blend almonds, strain almonds. Ta-da! Of course, more detailed instructions will be provided, as well as some delicious add-ins. Cinnamon vanilla is especially drool-worthy. Chocolate sea salt will make its grand debut soon, once I figure out how to stop overdoing it on the cacao powder ←problems that aren’t problems.
And here’s the thing, when you cut dairy, nut milk is a staple; a delicious staple. What else are you going to dunk those warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies in to? Also good in smoothies, yogurt making, all the baking, and pretty much overall yumminess.
Easy Home-Made Almond Milk
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 6 cups of filtered water
- thin (clean) dishtowel or nut milk bag
- optional cinnamon vanilla: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Soak your almonds overnight in a large mason jar or bowl with plenty of filtered water.
- Drain and rinse your soaked almonds, then add to a high-speed blender with the 6 cups of water and blend until almonds are mostly blended.
- Set your nut milk bag or dishtowel over a bowl with a spout or large mason jar and empty all the blender contents in to the straining cloth. Squeeze to get as much liquid as possible out, and set the pulp aside.
- Add in any desired flavorings in to your strained milk, and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. (Don’t discard that yummy pulp! Add it to oatmeal, smoothies, cookies, or make a crust out of it.)
Confession 2.0: My straining cloth of choice is always a silk napkin that came in a set from our wedding registry; sleeping soundly in a drawer since we unwrapped it. Children and silk don’t mix and it needed to be used one way or another. Kanye shrug.