There used to be a massive tub of what was supposed to be 7 layer dip that sat on my mother’s countertops nearly any time company came over. What the 7 layers were actually composed of, I never actually knew, but my mother was a diamond level member of the Homeschool Mom Costco Club; you didn’t ask questions, you just ate it.
Over the years there have been a few occasions where I’ve tried to recreate it, only to end up eating store-bought queso straight out of the jar. You’d never think focusing on a plant-based diet would get me out of a food failure funk, yet here I am today bringing you a not-quite-7-but-still-layered dip. It’s even better than the mammoth tubs of mystery dip, and it’s totally clean.
I know, you’d never know that “cheese sauce” is actually vegan; it’s so good, my cheese-obsessed husband ate half the pan. It took me far too long to actually try my hand at it because I was so skeptical (potatoes and carrots, um what?) but it’s really so much like cheese sauce that I’d be confident serving it to even the strictest carnivores. Trying it on a pizza next- stay tuned!
Vegan Layered Dip
- 1 can of organic refried beans
- 1/2 serving of taco seasoning (this is my go-to)
- 1 jar of organic salsa*
- 1 tub of guacamole*
- 1 serving of cheese sauce from Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 can of diced green chiles
- optional garnishes: lime zest, finely chopped red onion, diced tomatoes, lettuce
- Mix the taco seasoning in to the can of refried beans in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the can of green chiles in to the cheese sauce and set aside.
- Layer it up: Refried beans, guacamole, salsa, cheese sauce, and garnishes.
- Serve immediately or chill beforehand– don’t forget the chips!
*Play with the layering as much as you want, if you want less guac or salsa, use less!
You didn’t think I would end this without showing my husband’s hand model skills, did you?
His are much prettier than my grandma hands.